5.8 Independent Study Courses

Qualified students may make arrangements with available faculty to take research courses on subjects of interest and value. These courses will be conducted by means of assigned reading, a paper, conferences with the professor, and, at the option of the professor, an examination. The faculty member and student must hold a minimum of four conferences during the course, either in person, by phone or through internet video conference. A student wishing to pursue an independent study course must also be registered for one or more on-campus or distance courses or have previously attained at Westminster a GPA of 2.80 or better. M.Div., M.A.R. and M.A.C./M.A.U.M. students are limited to taking a total of three independent study courses (not including PT 013P-English Bible Survey, and Advanced Theological Writing courses). Independent Study courses are offered to students in all degree programs with the exception of Certificate students, Special students, and students in the London Th.M. program. Please refer to section 6.8.2.b for the independent study limit for students in the Th.M. program and sections 6.11.4.a and 6.11.5.a for the limit for students in the Ph.D. program.

Registering for an independent study course: A student who has been admitted to Westminster should first get approval from his/her academic advisor (advanced degree students only) and secure approval from the faculty member who will supervise the course. The student must then submit an Independent Study Request form to the Registrar’s Office for approval. The form must be received no later than the registration or drop/add periods.

Taking independent study courses for required courses in the curriculum is strongly discouraged, and will require approval of the faculty member who normally teaches the course and of the Provost. If a student encounters extreme career or family hardship that he or she thinks warrants taking a required course via independent study, the student must submit a Petition form to the Registrar’s Office along with the Independent Study Request form.

Deadlines: All deadlines for regular courses (e.g. registration, drop/add, withdrawal, incomplete etc.) and the normal tuition refund schedule will apply. Final examinations are due no later than the last day of the exam period for the fall and spring semesters.